Classic seafood stew with tomatoes, fennel and basil2017-02-07
- Yield : 6-8
- Servings : 6-8
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 30m
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 fennel
- 1 white onion
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 large garlic cloves, and 1 chilli seeded and finely chopped
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp of tomato puree
- Lemon rind
- 300ml of fresh fish stock
- 150ml of white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 red pepper cut into sticks
- 225grms of fresh clams/mussels
- 410grms raw prawns, deveined and peeled
- 300g of assorted fish cut into pieces
- 160grms of crab claws with no shell
- Handful of shredded basil
Heat the olive oil in a large heavy pan over a medium heat.
Add the white onion, fennel seeds and fresh fennel and saute for 5 minutes until translucent.
Add the chilli, garlic, then stir in the tomato paste and chopped tomatoes, lemon rind ,wine, stock and bayleaf.
Season with salt and pepper and simmer for 10 minutes on a low heat with the lid on.
Add the clams, red pepper to the pot and cook for 5 minutes. Add the rest of the fish and cook until clams/mussels have fully opened.
Sprinkle with basil and serve in deep bowls.